Interview with Sneh Roy
Date of Interview
January 26, 2010
Designer's Twitter Page
City & Country of Residence
Type of Design
Web & Logo Designer
1. Besides the usual online blogs and galleries, from what or where do you draw inspiration?
From children's animations, ads, movies, picture books, the great outdoors, observing people, magazines and a million other visual sources.
2. Design-related or not, can you list up to 3 books that you've found beneficial to your growth as a designer?
Color Index by Jim Krause has helped me study the balance and application of colors back in the days when color websites were non-existent. Donna Hay's cookbooks and magazines revolutionized the use of pictures with excellent typography and design elements. The Harry Potter books taught me to not only probe deeper within my own imagination but set my ideas free and not be scared to create something unusual and new every single day.
3. If you could name one tool/application/software/hardware that you can't live without (from a design perspective), what would it be, and why?
Adobe Illustrator. I didn't know how to use it a year ago. Now, I can't imagine life without it. How else would I give life to all the wacky creatures that reside in my head and need to get out?
4. What would be your design "dream job"?
Working with Disney Pixar on one of their magnificent movies in any capacity possible!
5. What changes would you like to see in the design community in the next 5 years?
I love how the design community is now. Helpful, ever ready to share knowledge and expertise, constantly discovering new methods and ideas. Even if it stays that way in the next 5 years, I am happy!
Special thanks to Sneh Roy for taking the time to answer these questions exclusively for Interviews by Design.