Interview with Soh Tanaka
Date of Interview
April 14, 2010
Designer's Twitter Page
City & Country of Residence
Torrance, United States
Curently Working For
Type of Design
Web Designer / Front-end Developer
1. Besides the usual online blogs and galleries, from what or where do you draw inspiration?
Recently I've been looking closer at magazine layouts, posters, and billboards. I've always been inspired by fine art, graffiti, stencil art, T-shirt designs, package designs, etc.
2. Design-related or not, can you list up to 3 books that you've found beneficial to your growth as a designer?
Thinking with Type & The Layout Book.
3. If you could name one tool/application/software/hardware that you can't live without (from a design perspective), what would it be, and why?
Photoshop, almost all of my web design work starts from it.
4. What would be your design "dream job"?
Still trying to figure it out! Each year it morphs into something else.
5. What changes would you like to see in the design community in the next 5 years?
Standards with CSS3 support & web typography.
Special thanks to Soh Tanaka for taking the time to answer these questions exclusively for Interviews by Design.