Interview with Tuhin Kumar
Date of Interview
January 26, 2010
Designer's Twitter Page
City & Country of Residence
New Delhi, India
Curently Working For
Type of Design
1. Besides the usual online blogs and galleries, from what or where do you draw inspiration?
I tend to be heavily dependent on the "noise" from my environment for inspiration. It might sound strange but thoughts of people and their philosophies inspires my design more than anything.
I also make it a habit to read design books on a regular basis. I believe that it has improved my sense and understanding of design in a very wide manner.
2. Design-related or not, can you list up to 3 books that you've found beneficial to your growth as a designer?
The Elements of Typographic Style by Robert Bringhurst.
Transcending CSS by Andy Clarke
Almost all the Philosophy books that I have read till now.
3. If you could name one tool/application/software/hardware that you can't live without (from a design perspective), what would it be, and why?
I guess my Macbook Pro, since it is my home as well as my work computer.
If it is a software, it would be Adobe Photoshop CS4.
4. What would be your design "dream job"?
I would like to continue working as a freelancer as "design" for me is a natural phenomenon and doing it in a fixed manner or with lots of deadlines is just not my thing. I need my space and time to create art that inspires me.
5. What changes would you like to see in the design community in the next 5 years?
I guess, we could bridge the gap between the "elite" designers and the "newbies" so that the new ones could learn a lot from their seniors. While Twitter has helped a lot in this direction, yet a lot needs to be done.
Special thanks to Tuhin Kumar for taking the time to answer these questions exclusively for Interviews by Design.